Travelling is one of those few activities which not only calms our body and mind or give us immense joy & pleasure but it also leaves a mark on our soul and offers many unique experiences. It helps us learn a lot about the people, their cultures, their customs as well as the places. Sikkim Tourism – A Window to Himalayas is one of those ultimate experiences which you are going to have only once in life.
Whether you are living in a vibrant city or having a very active social life, travelling always helps you to be more satisfied. Visiting different places all around the world can help you have a broader view because you get a chance to see how people are living, what are their daily routines etc. & you will learn many new things. In Sikkim Tourism Places, you would feel a unique essence of nature.
Take a look at the Sikkim Tourism Places to Visit:
It has always been said that the best and most beautiful things in the world can’t be seen or touched. And this statement is a fact about Sikkim. Because it doesn’t just lie in the hills and valleys rather it lies in one’s feelings. Being a Window to Himalaya Sikkim it Encompasses many centre of attractions like: the chants from the monasteries, the roars of Teesta River, and the magnetic attractions of the Himalaya. It is sufficient to absorb you in the mesmerizing beauty of Sikkim. Let’s explore some Sikkim Tourism Places to Visit:
1. Phodong Monastery
The monastery which is situated in the Phodong village around 28 km far from Gangtok. This is a 18th-century monastery and it is one of the premier places in the state to visit. With some ancient murals and beautiful paintings, this place provides the visitors an insight into Sikkim’s glorious past.
Charm that attracts you:
- The mesmerizing beauty of Murals and Paintings
- The Attractive view of the city
- A chance to look into the Spectacular Past of sikkim tourism places
How to Catch there: To reach this famous Buddhist monastery, you can take a cab or a regular bus from Mangan.
2. Teesta River
The beauty of the river offers something different among to Sikkim Tourism Places to visit. The Teesta River looks stunning in winters when it is frozen. During Spring, the river shines in the sun rays and shows a perfect place for blooming flowers.
Charms of the Place
- During Summers Enjoy River rafting and kayaking
- View of Lush Green Fauna and Flower beds on the Banks
- Sangam of Teesta River with the Rangeet River
- Dikchu bridge on the way to Lachung
How to reach: To catch to this place you can take a cab from Darjeeling railway station.
Namchi is the one of the most beautiful place in sikkim tourism places to visit, which is blessed with fresh air. And this air is fragmented with the aroma of lush flora. The exquisite sight of snowcapped and the woodland mountain valleys make it an important spot amongst the places to visit in South sikkim tourism places.
Charms that Attracts You
- The Spectacular Khangchendzonga range
- The ancient Sherdup Choeling Monastery
- The pretty tea gardens
- The Rock Garden
- The biggest Namchi Mahotsav in October
How to reach: Visitors can take a cab from the Jalpaiguri metro station. It is around 77 km away from there.
4. Nathula Pass
This place is located in the Himalayas and it connects India and Tibet. The pass is considered to be one of the best places to visit in Sikkim Gangtok. The Nathula Pass is at 4,310 m above sea level and it forms a part of a side-shoot of the prehistoric Silk Road.
Charm which grab you:
- The fun Yak safari
- India and China Border Gates
- A war memorial that is beautifully built
- The Indian Army Exhibition Centre
How to Reach
You can reach in 4 to 5 hours by bus from the east of Gangtok, Which is 54 km away. If you opt a train then the nearest railhead is in Siliguri that is165 km away and takes around 4 hours by taxi. Nearest airport is Pakyong airport for the people who want to travel by air.
This is one of the offbeat sikkim tourism places to visit. Zuluk is actually a small village that is located at a high altitude and also it has a very empowering history because of its connection with the Silk Route. It offers great view of the snowcapped mountain ranges. And during winter it is a fabulous place to see. For the people looking for snowfall in Sikkim or looking for the best places to visit in Sikkim it is an ideal place to visit.
Main Attractions Points:
- The Religious Nag temple
- The beautiful Mt Kanchenjungha
- The Exquisite Thambi View Point
How to reach: Tourist can take a cab ride from Jalpaiguri railway station and it is 91 km away from there.
6. Tsomgo Lake: Tsomgo lake gives a mesmerizing view to the visitors and it is located just 38 km away from Gangtok “the capital city of Sikkim”. It is among the most popular tourist places in Sikkim. A snaky road which takes you to the Tsomgo Lake that goes through rocky mountain topography and strident mountains is a lot of adventure in itself. It is one of the best places in sikkim tourism places to visit and you must explore this place on your trip.
- Migratory ducks like the Brahmini
- The beautiful flowers: Primulas, Blue and Yellow Poppies, and Irish
- The ride of Yaks and ponies
How to reach: Tourist can take a cab ride from Gangtok that will take 2 hours for you to reach there.
7. Gangtok: Gangtok is the capital city of Sikkim. It has lot more to offer and you would be amazed by its never ending walking trails with gorgeous silver-fir trees and most importantly the hospitality by the locals. Make sure to keep this place in your list of places to visit in Sikkim.
Main Attractions of the Place:
- Enjoying the Paragliding in the valley
- The Jhakri Falls and Kyongnosla Water Falls
- The Yak ride & Lively Nightlife
- Mt Kachendzonga’s Snowcapped ranges
- Bird eye view & Enchey Monastery
How to reach: Take a cab from New Jalpaiguri railway station. That is 148 km away from here. The nearest airport is Pakyong airport.
8. Lachung, Lachen and Yumthang Valley: Lachen is a small village in North Sikkim and Tibetan nomadic tribes’ winter home. Lachung is also village of Tibetan and Bhutia people in North Sikkim. Meanwhile, Yumthang is a beautiful valley that is bounded by snowcapped mountains. All of these three places are extremely beautiful tourist places and one must visit Lachung because it is the most famous among the list of places to visit in North Sikkim and visitors can experience snowfall in Sikkim here.
- The fascinating journey from Lachen to Gurudongmar Lake
- The Gurudongmar Lake (often frozen in winters)
- The colorful rhododendron bloom
- Lachung Gompa: The place where largest Buddhist shrine is located
- Lachung Monastery, Handicraft and Lachung Village
- Mt Pandim, Mt Simvo, Mt Jopuno, Mt Khangchendzonga, Mt Kabru, and Mt Siniolchu
How to reach: Take a taxi from the nearest platform in Siliguri. The nearest airport is Pakyong airport.
So, What is the Best Time to Visit Sikkim, “Where Nature Smiles”:
As per the suggestions by Sikkim Tourism, the best time to visit Sikkim is either between March to May or October to December. Tourists who want to witness the blooming natural beauty in Gangtok the best season for them to visit Sikkim would be in spring i.e. March to May. Where people who want a clear view of Himalayan Range, Autumn will be sikkim best time to visit for them.
The visitors who want to capture the picturesque view of Himalayan Range, the period of October to December is the best season for them to visit Sikkim. During this time various festivals like the Maniram Bhanjyang Tourism Festival can also be enjoyed. They can also have fun in the Cherry Tea Festival as well as Red Panda Winter Festival as these festivals show a different side of Sikkim.
At the end it can be said that Sikkim is one of the most beautiful states and it has something different to offer to its tourists every season. In winters visitors will witness Sikkim roads and Himalayan peaks covered with thick snow that is a picturesque view. You can consider winters as Sikkim best time to visit.